Friday, January 4, 2013

Holiday Review (in food)

It's been a long time. I decided to really step away from work and everything over the holidays, and just relax and enjoy where I was and what I was doing...and eating! But I did take many pictures of the MANY delicious things I ate over vacation.

There was very little exercise over break. I was getting over a bad cough/cold, and quite frankly, just wanted to take it easy. There were a few runs along the Hudson in NYC and a couple gym visits. Getting back to regular exercise this week was definitely tough. I was huffing and puffing through my tabata class. But, i got in a 4 mile run today which felt good!

I'm bummed the holiday season is over, but it truly was a GREAT couple weeks. It was one of the nicest times I've spent with family and friends in a long time. I was in NYC (at my sister's apartment) from December 22nd- December 27th. Many of our meals were eaten at her apartment, as she is very into cooking Julia Child recipes. And I enjoy eating it! I barely cooked over the break since I was away, so it's nice to get back to cooking. But I can't say I didn't like eating delicious food that was cooked for me. Let's just say there was lots of wine, cheese, salami, and french dishes while in NYC. We did eat out at a spot in Chinatown and some other places, but I'm going to focus on the home cooked meals.

I then spent a couple days in Portland, Maine over New Years. It was a surprise anniversary trip planned by the fiance. We've never been and it was glorious. Loved it, especially the amazing food scene there. I'll write a post just about Portland soon.

For now, here is Christmas in NYC via pictures. Mostly food pictures....
Where all the eating happened. My sister's beautifully decorated and festive apartment


First dinner after we arrived. My sister made Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon. AMAZING!

Beef served with a green salad(with homemade lemon/garlic dressing, and roasted potatoes. My brother in law is Peruvian and has a way with potatoes. They are simple, but amazing.
Christmas Eve Appetizer plate. This is my father's speciality. A few varieties of salami and crackers. Not shown were olives, and some sharp parm. And wine, lots of wine.
Fondue on Christmas Eve. This is our family's Christmas Eve tradition that we've done or  years. Delish! With a side of green salad and baguette for dipping. AND my fiance has a friend in NYC who contributed homemade tater tots. Imagine a mini potato latke dipped into fondue. It's as good as it sounds.
Salad, "tater tots", and baguette.

Made another night we were there. This was probably the best thing I ate over vacation. My sister made Julia Child's French Onion Soup. Unreal! She stewed those onions for hours!
Julia Child's Garlic Soup. So good. Has a unique flavor that I can't even describe. Almost like what you would image the "essence" of garlic to taste like. Not overpowering, but definitely garlicky. All the Julia recipes my sister made are in her Mastering the Art of French Cooking:Volume I.
And it's not a trip to NYC without lots of time with my favorite cat friend, Sadie!


No comments:

Post a Comment