Saturday, July 28, 2012

Workin' the Market

First, don't make that crisp. It wasn't bad per say, but I can do better. I"m working on it.

This morning, I got up at a nice 6:50am Saturday wake up time. No good. I like sleep.

But, it was for a good reason. I have worked at a farm for the past 8 years. I worked in their farm stand/store every summer during high school and college. Since then I haven't been able to get away and work once and awhile when they need help in the Summer/Fall on weekends.  They now also have a stand at a local farmer's market, so I work there every few weeks. Not only is it some extra money and free produce, but it makes me so happy. Exhausting and hot, but I'm a strange lady and farmer's markets just make me oh so happy, even with an early weekend wake up. My love of farms/food really developed during my years at this job.

 It's hard to decide what to take when I work at the market. It's a balance of what I want and what I will actually be able to cook/use this week. I want it all, but must be a little reasonable.


My bag contained:

Beans: green and wax beans
Fruit: Peento peaches(heirloom donut peach), plums, and nectarines
Lettuce
Kale
Cucumbers
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes (BEST!!!)
Beets
Cauliflower



Most of the vegetables will be used in salads and to munch and dip in hummus. But, I have some plans for the produce. Tonight I made a salad full of my purchases.
 
All from Market:
Lettuce
Red Cabbage
Green Beans
Shredded Golden Beets
Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes
Cucumbers (Pickling)
Magda Cousa Summer Squash
Spring Onions

Green Beans: Spicy pickled beans...a.ka. mean beans. Will post recipe when I make them. SO GOOD AND EASY!
Zucchini: Possible Ratatouille in the making.
Kale: Morning Green Smoothie...will post recipe tomorrow.

 I hope to get some cooking projects done tomorrow. For now, it's time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment