Thursday, July 26, 2012

Farmer's Market Bounty

Nothing better than a summer day without a rain, when rain was predicted. I hit up the Coolidge Corner Farmers Market. There is a great selection at this market. I always base my market ratings on produce variety. You've got to have some good fruit and veggie options, both organic and just plain non-organic local. I like to pick and choose what I want. I always love some good cheese, meat, and other artisan food purveyors. I must admit, it's mostly for the samples. BUT, I also appreciate their art and the beauty of their food products.

But due to money, and my food tastes, I go for the fruit and veg. Once and awhile I'll splurge on a little fancy cheese or you know, bacon butter, but today was not that day. I got some corn cobs, peaches(big beauteous ones), tomatoes, green beans, and beets.

So my plans for the purchases:

Green Beans: Mean beans! Spicy pickled green beans that you don't have to can in a waterbath. As long as you eat them within a month, which is not a problem, you store them in the fridge.

Beets: Just boil and throw in a salads on whatever makes its way on the dinner table.

Corn and tomatoes and peaches: Tonight's food


After a party last month I have been wanting to make a nice corn,bean,avocado salad type thing. Easy enough and I threw in whatever else I found.

2 corn cobs
1 can of TJ black beans(rinsed)
handful of green beans(chopped into 1/2 pieces)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 avocado- chopped
2 large scallions

1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp EVOO
1/2 green tabasco saurce
pepper and salt to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder(or fresh garlic)

Sprtiz of lemon would help but didn't have it.

Cheesy Quinoa as the base

1/2 cup Quinoa
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
pepper and salt to taste

This turned out delish. Almost like a salsa or relish, but more like a raw veggie salad. I don't like to overdress things, so I kept it light and made sure that the veggies were able to shine. I'm going to try some variations on this throughout the summer.

And for dessert.....

I rarely make desserts but summer fruit inspires me. So instead of my usual Soy Ice Cream Sandwhich from TJ's I decided to get my bake on. I love a good crumble, so I tried to make it "healthy". Not sure if that sacrificed the dessert experience. We'll have to see once I prepare it.

Peach Crisp: One change I would make is a bit more butter and brown sugar to make it a bit more "clumpy" crumbles. GOod flavor but more like loose granola on the top.
*Makes a small loaf pan (about 2-3 people servings)

Fruit Filling:
4 large peaches
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix in bowl.

Topping:
1 1/3 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tbsp flax meal
1 1/2 Tbsp butter(i use earth balance since I"m Lactose Intolerant)

Throw this on top of the fruit and bake for 30-40 minutes on 350 degrees F.  I wait till it is lightly browned on top and the fruit is bubbling on the edge.

I'm not sure how much I like this recipe. I might have tried to make it too "healthy". I like a good crumble on top and this has a more loose granola appearance. I"ll see how it turn out!


Now time to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment