Thursday, August 9, 2012

Soba it up!

Last week and part of this week was filled with eating out. We had family in town so that included some delicious meals out, and a yummy bbq at my parent's house. What is better than hotdogs, homemade potato salad and coleslaw, and blueberry cake!

My mother is the best cook around! But I miss being in the kitchen and cooking it up. So today I went to the farmer's market downtown. I grabbed all the good stuff I could get my hands on. It was late, because I went after work, so they were low on some things. But I got...


  • Japanese Eggplant
  • Pattypan squash
  • Yellow Peaches
  • Cucumbers
  • Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes
  • Field Tomatoes
  • Basil 
I could eat sun gold tomatoes all day, every day.


 I used most of the items for salads and munchies for hummus dipping. I threw together another batch of pesto(previous post for recipe) to freeze.

** If you get basil and don't plan to use it right away, a great way to extend its life is to put it in a glass of water(like flowers) and leave it in the fridge.


One of my newest(last few months) dish to make for dinner is soba noodles. I used to eat them when I was young and then rediscovered them. They are so versatile AND great chilled in the summer. Robert and I have been eating this dish at least once a week for the past few months. The great thing is that you can throw anything in. I stick to the same marinade/sauce, but just put in whatever veggies I have around.

Sadly I completely forgot to photograph this dish last night. I stuffed it in my mouth too fast and then realized I hadn't grabbed a shot. Next time, I promise!

Soba with tofu and veggies:
Dressing: For the dish AND as a marinade(for tofu and roasted veggies):
**This is enough for a serving that uses a little of half a pack of soba (about 3-4 servings)
  • 1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1/2 fresh clove minced)
  • 3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Added salt and pepper to taste
Veggies in the mix this time(can be changed based on what is available):
 Raw
  • Kale- julienned in slivers
  • pattypan squash
  • green beans
  • scallions
  • edamame beans
Cooked ( I just lightly cook these in the oven at 350 F until done; the eggplant takes longer than the mushrooms so I pull them out first)
  • Mushrooms- crimini
  • Eggplant
Other Suggestions(raw or cooked): Zucchini, roasted garlic, tomatoes, bok choy, cabbage.

Tofu:
  •  Press tofu under weights(between paper towel) for 45 minutes to an hour.
  • Slice tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices
  • Dip each slice in marinade (or marinate tofu in sauce overnight for better results)and place on baking sheet
  • Bake tofu at 350 F for about 40 minutes (or until lightly browned) flipping after 20 minutes.
  • Let tofu cool and then cut into cubes.

Put it all together:
  • Combine noodles, veggies, and tofu.
  • Dress noodles with about 3/4 of the dressing.
  • Place in fridge to chill.
  • When chilled, add the rest of the dressing to the noodles and combine(often when the noodles chill they clump together, so the extra dressing loosens things up)

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment